BEL-COO is a financing programme focused on Belgian enterprises aiming to execute a joint R&D project with enterprises from other Belgian regions. The duration of a BEL-COO project must be between 12 and 36 months.
BEL-COO replaces and extends the BEL-SME programme. BEL-SME was restricted to development projects and was only eligible for sme’s. BEL-COO is eligible for both sme’s and large enterprises and allows both research and development projects.
Composition of the consortium
- BEL-COO is an initiative of Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Flanders), SPW Recherche (Wallonia) and Innoviris (Brussels). Enterprises that want to participate in a BEL-COO project submit their part of the project in the existing financing instruments from their own region.
- Flanders Innovation & Entrepreneurship participates with the following programmes: development projects and research projects.
- The regional financing agencies (VLAIO, SPW and Innoviris) organise a central meeting to dicuss the financing of the projects, but each financing agency is responsible for the financing of the enterprises from the own region.
The target group are Flemish enterprises that want to develop a joint R&D project with enterprises from Wallonia and/or Brussels.
Additional requirements for the project consortium:
- The project consortium consists of at least two enterprises from two different Belgian regions.
- None of the participating enterprises has a budget that is larger than 70% of the total project budget.
- Each participating enterprise executes R&D tasks with a clear technical risk and participates in the economic results of the project (no subcontractor role).
- Research institutes can participate as subcontractor or research partner of the participating enterprises. They can however not participate as a direct contractor.
Projects can be submitted continuously and will also be evaluated on a continuous basis. The agencies strive for a maximum evaluation period of 4 months.
- BEL-COO Guidelines for applicants
- For specific questions: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, T +32 2 432 43 29
- Access to the pages of the regional programmes from Wallonia (SPW Recherche) and Brussels (Innoviris):
Documents for submission
The Flemish part of a BEL-COO application should be submitted through the e-portal of the programme of interest: development projects when the Flemish part consists only of development activities; research projects when the Flemish part consists of only research activities or a combination of research and development activities.
It is important to indicate in the e-portal that the application falls within the framework of BEL-COO. You will then be referred to the correct application templates.
The following documents need to be uploaded:
- BEL-COO proposal application form: the interregional BEL-COO application template
- Application form R&D projects: annex international and interregional projects (impact/business case): to be submitted by each Flemish enterprise that participates as an applicant in the project consortium.
- Draft consortium agreement (does not need to be signed yet).